Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thoughts about the leaves, winter, and sports…


Thoughts about the leaves, winter, and sports…

        
         School is in full swing as we move past the midpoint of September and, true to form, Mother Nature has seen fit to present us with beautiful “end of summer, back to school (sorry, kids)” weather. At the same time, I keep hearing disconcerting phrases about this winter, such as “polar vortex,” “la Niña,” “el Niño,” and “wintry mix.”  Of course the Farmer’s Almanac has predicted a brutal winter for the northeast with temps that will be below average and snowfall that will be above average—a perfect combination, right? 
But we’re ready: we have already received our first delivery of anti-skid gravel and salt.  But weather itself is an interesting occurrence in that we can’t legislate it, control it—or even predict it all to well—yet we’re happy to talk (complain) at great lengths about it.  Greg, our maintenance supervisor, has assured me that our snow removal equipment is in good shape and ready to tackle the October snow that is predicted. Recall October 2013 and we may indeed be wise to prepare ourselves….

Fall athletics at Central Cambria are in full swing. Because these months seem to pass so quickly, I hope we all find time to support our teams. I am in awe of the practice time the athlete/ students and coaches dedicate to their particular sport/activity.  Regardless of the weather and purely for the love of what they do, they practice hard and put forth consistent effort.  This is the first year for girl’s tennis at CCSD.  The team is young and the athletes are really showing their competitive spirit.  Go luck to all our teams and extracurricular participants. 

         Now, having talked about the people who matter the most, I would like to switch gears and talk about the Buccos, who are currently in the hunt for a wild card playoff spot.  They have already gone above the .500 mark for this year and appear to be peaking at the right time.  Who knows, we may be watching Pirate games into October.  The Pens start preseason in two weeks and have a new coach, so there is always hope for another great season of hockey. 

         Now onto the Steelers; as Myron Cope would say – “Yoi and double yoi!”  What is happening with the Steelers?  My 90 year-old dad and 88 year-old uncle insist that the head coach needs to go, but my eldest son says not so, as Steeler fans are spoiled and too quick to point the finger at the coach.  I am torn, trying to make sense of two 8-8 seasons and a recent (and still painful) bad loss to the Ravens.  Something is not working and there are only 14 games left.  Where is Chaz Noll when you need him?!  Let me note here, with hope in my heart for the current team, that the Great Coach Noll had a very rocky start. Several years ago, our family began to participate in a football fantasy league – aptly named Clan D.  As the commissioner, my eldest son Adam organizes the league and sets the draft.  Unfortunately, I am the sole team owner without a win (heavy sigh).  So I ask: is it my fault as the head coach of my fantasy team or is it the fault of my players?  You now see why I am reluctant to place blame solely on the coach or the players. (I know, I know… unlike Coach Tomlin and his staff, I am not even remotely responsible for the performance of my team, but this is the only way I can hold my head up when Clan D members start talking smack.) Regardless, I remain hopeful that both the Steelers and my fantasy team will soon win some games.

There is so much to be to be proud of at CCSD.  We have done wonderful things this year with the addition of a technology coach, curriculum director, math and reading literacy coaches, our Google Chromebook initiative, iPads for the elementary schools (all of this being done without raising your taxes) and a $203,000 Ready to Learn grant.  I believe students and their teachers are equally excited to implement these new tools and resources for teaching and learning.

As I sign off this month, I encourage all of us to enjoy the season, the sports and the pre-winter preparations -and thank a teacher, an administrator or School Board member for doing a great job in and for our district’s children.  Until next month,

                                             DR. D

No comments: