Saturday, December 20, 2014

No snow cancellations.....


Whew, we made it through December with no snow cancellations! This is much better than last year when, before Christmas break, our area saw many inches of snow and very cold weather.  Sunday is the official start of winter and my twins’ birthday; (Happy 31st Birthday, Morgan and Tyler!).  With 2015 only days away, it is hard to believe how quickly this school year is moving. 

Although students and staff do not come back from Christmas break until January 5th, our facilities will hum during that time with myriad activities, practices and events.  Greg Shaffer and his wonderful crew will be on campus salting, shoveling and plowing as needed.  

The musical production, Godspell, was very well done and equally well-received.  Mrs. Wolfe, Mr. Nagy and Mr. Seymour, the cast and countless others whose work made this possible, deserve tremendous praise for a marvelous show.  To go from “student group” to “theatrical troupe” in such a short time is amazing. With such dedication, commitment and hard work by all, our district continues the proud Red Devil tradition of providing an outstanding fine arts program.  An important note: the Board approved the re-instatement of a Theater Arts Club and sponsor.  This club will eventually become a part of our HS curriculum, and a boon to future productions. 

As always, students and teachers will return from the holiday break ready for the fast pace of January. With the need to meet PDE mandates, the focus will be on preparation for the PSSA, Keystone Exams and SATs. Truly, there is no time for those in education to indulge in the winter blues. Maybe this is a blessing….

College bowl games begin soon.  Watching college football is a passion of mine (in case you didn’t know) and I try to watch every possible game, even when we are visiting my mother-in-law (with the hope that she will read my blog, this is my way of encouraging my wife Judy to indulge me yet again).  Like many fans, I’d been waiting/hoping for a playoff championship game so I’m pumped for this game. Sadly, though, bowl season signals the imminent end of college football for another season (time to wear my black armband).  But on a positive note, the Steelers seem to be peaking at the right time. I hope my optimism is justified over the next few weeks.

Thanks to my oldest brother Dan for helping me drag a nice big eight point out of the woods.  Each year the deer seem to get heavier….

Enjoy the holidays – Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Please hug your family and tell them you love them….  Dr. D.


No comments: